Friday, June 3, 2011

Eng:264 The French Revolution: Man's Right

Eng: 264 the French Revolution        
Man’s Rights
 I feel Edmund Burke had an open mind about that.  According to Burke, whatever each man can do, without trespassing upon others, he has the right to do for himself. (pg 50) Based upon this statement, man is free to do as he pleases, as long as he does not infringe upon another man. I agree with this statement because I can only advise another person. I cannot control his or her actions because they are free to do as they feel; but it does not mean he or she has the right to go around inflicting pain and anguish upon others. Burke also states, “In this partnership all men have equal rights, but not equal things.” (pg 50) Meaning, just because I have the right to own a share of a business as a partner, does not mean I am entitled to 50 percent of the profits if I only contributed 10 percent. However, Burke goes on to say “man has not the right to an equal share of power, authority, and direction.” (pg 51) Now here is where I differ from Burke. As a citizen, you have the right to advocate for yourself, equal representation in government, and acquire wealth, just to name a few things. Everyone should have the right to better themselves regardless of social status or wealth. As Thomas Paine stated, “Every age and generation must be as free to act for itself in all cases.”(pg 65) I feel it is hypocritical to let one do whatever he or she wants because of who they are or what they have inherited from their parents.
“Are we to seek rights of men, in the age when few marks were the only penalty imposed for life of man?” (pg58) Mary Wollenstonecraft posed this statement to Burke. In doing so, she brings attention to the fact that the life of man had little to no meaning depending on the social status. Therefore, the penalty for murder was imposed based on class rather than the crime itself.   It should also be noted that during this time, people in the royal families would go as far as killing one another just for the throne, “death for death when property of rich was involved.” (pg 58) This problem still exists today. Although it is not murder, because of social status and wealth, some people get slaps on the wrist while others are sent to the gallows.
 We are not too far removed from our own rights debacle here at home. Does the Civil Rights Era ring a bell? Depriving any man his rights can cause a negative reaction towards his government. Although it makes a major change in history, the series of events leading up to this can be catastrophic. I cannot say I know how they felt during that time, but as a teenager I can say I know the feeling of not having a say in things. A perfect example would be when my parents take the car from me. I can shout, kick, and rant but because I didn’t pay for the car I can only accept their actions.

1 comment:

  1. Reggie,

    Good first post in your blog. I like the way you select specific quotations from several authors on opposing sides of these issues and show your speculations and observations on those issues. It might have been better to quote fewer passages and go into more depth in your discussion, though—remember, try to say more about less. I think it is appropriate in a blog to connect these readings to your own experiences, and I am glad to see you do that towards the end.

    ReplyDelete