Wednesday, June 15, 2011

Watercress Girl

            “The little watercress girl who gave me the following statement, although, only eight years of age, had entirely lost all childish ways, and was indeed in thoughts and manner, a woman.” (p508) This child is a true product of a family going through hard times. Everyone has to do the best he or she can to provide for the family. Obviously, she does not know what it is like to live the life of a child. This is evident by her response to the statement about the parks. In fact, she is confined to the territory where she sales her watercress. Now I do not know of anyone selling watercress, but I do know of the little girl that Henry Maybew is describing and I tell you it is sad.
            In today’s society, many of these babies do things that are far worse than selling watercress. Some are slaves, others are prostitutes, and many are the mother and the sister to their siblings. The author touched on the later when the little girl stated, “Before that, I had to take care of a baby for my aunt.” (p509) Hell, she is only a baby herself. I remember meeting several people in this situation when I was in junior high and high school. I can still remember when three little girls approached my dad and me as we were coming out of the cleaners. One was pushing a stroller, asking for money to buy food for the three of them. My dad gave them twenty dollars and never thought twice about. Now I must admit, two of them had to be between the ages of 14 or 15. However, this did not matter to my dad. When I asked why he gave them money, he said that everyone could benefit from help sometimes; and if you are going to help someone, do so out of kindness, and not for the concern of the outcome. I guess this is how the good saleswomen felt when they would lookout for the children.

3 comments:

  1. Reggie,

    Good response to Mayhew's text. You make several insightful comments on her plight, and also connect them well to the plight of similar people today. I would like to see you analyze the text more, and especially the passages you quote. By analyze, I mean you should look at the words and images and speculate on their significance. If the text makes you respond in a particular way, analyze the passage to see how it creates that response, and speculate on why the author might want to provoke such a response in readers. You have some good observations, but I think you could structure them better and pursue them farther.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I enjoyed this interview also. This little girl really struck a chord with me when she asked if such as she could go there also. She is so used to being looked down on that she feels she isn't entitled to go to nice places.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mayhew is enlightening the reader on the social issue. Children having to perform adult roles at such a young age is and has been a social issue for sometime. But I digress. Mayhew also could have been letting the reader enter inside the life of a poor girl/family and structured this interview to educate the reader. I didn't feel sad when I read it, probably more intrigued more than anything. I will be honest and say that this wasn't a read that I enjoyed. I did enjoy your interpretations. It helped me to look a little more closely to the text.

    ReplyDelete