Monday, June 27, 2011

The Soldier

As I read this poem, it did not take me that long to realize that this soldier was away from home. Chances are, he is fighting in combat. “If I should die, think only this of me, that there’s some corner of a foreign field that is forever England” (Brooke 1-3). England is and forever will be his home. What he does is for his beloved England. Like all soldiers, he does what he was called to do, serve his country. He says that he the person that he is because of his beloved homeland. He is showing his pride for being born on England’s soil. He is truly proud to be from there. He thinks of the loved ones and friends that he has there and again, like any soldier, would love to return. However, from the words of the poem, he knows that he will not because he is either dying or has died and these are the words that were left. Thinking of his homeland brings him comfort in the end. Now I cannot imagine what he was going through, nor do I want to. You see, my mom and dad were both soldiers who served in combat. However, it was during different times.  The one that I remember though, is my father leaving for Iraq for 15 months. He does not talk about that much. If he does, it is with my mom. One thing is for sure, he is no doubt, a very strong and proud man who served his country when called upon to do so. Just like the soldier in this poem.

1 comment:

  1. Reggie,

    Good synopsis of Brooke's poem, with some good comments on the role of the soldier. Not enough depth or detail, though, and very little analysis of specific passages in the text.

    ReplyDelete