Monday, June 27, 2011

“Journey of the Magi”


            After reading this poem, I concluded that it is a different version of the three wise men’s journey. “A cold coming we had of it, just the worst time of the year” (1-2). Here, the author is clearly letting us know that the journey was harsh and long. He says that the weather was sharp. I think he is referring to the harsh wind that is blowing. It is cutting and stinging their skin. He is providing the reader with a picture depicting the poor state of the animals. I also think that Eliot is showing the strength and endurance of the kings. I say that because of how they are reflecting on the comforts that they enjoy so much. Yet, they continue to push on in harsh weather. They are driven. The imagery of the magi fighting to continue is strong. I also think that it is strong when the magi witnessed the birth. I can picture the anguish on their faces. They were not prepared for what they saw. They probably thought that the birth of the savior was not supposed to be painful. I think that in seeing the pain and agony, they felt as if a part of them was dying. I would be remised it I did not say that this was a little confusing to me. However, I had to read it because this is the first time that I have read something that compared the birth of Jesus to death.
           

1 comment:

  1. Reggie,

    Glad to see you completed 19 posts for your blog (the first introductory one does not count toward the 20). Some good commentary here on Eliot's poem, although once again you tend to paraphrase or summarize the poem rather than quote it, which makes your commentary less detailed and successful.

    ReplyDelete