Monday, June 27, 2011

“Leda and the Swan”

Right off, I got a picture of a girl being raped by a bird. As I continued to read, I could not help but notice the graphic, sexual nature of the events that were taking place; “How can those terrified vague fingers push the feathered glory from her loosening thighs” (5-6)? To me, Leda is fighting back as the swan is trying to penetrate her. This brings me to something else that I noticed. The author is injecting bestiality into the poem with the unwanted sexual act. I also think that he is using personification with the swan as well by giving him the ability to rape Leda.  

3 comments:

  1. This poem describes the graphic rape of Leda by the beastly bird Zeus. Its graphic terminology depicts how helpless the victim is to the rapist. I think that Leda was prey to Zeus who thought that he was in love with her.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Reggie,

    Yes, this poem is about what you think it is about (at least on one level). The swan is also the god Zeus, though, and through this act four notable people in Greek mythology are conceived. But your post does not really analyze the poem, though, which seriously weakens the success of this post.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This post is about being raped and the god Zeus. I think this post would be better if yuo quoted the poem and analyzed it in greater depth.

    ReplyDelete