Monday, June 27, 2011

“Epitaph”

            “I never cared for life: Life cared for me” (Hardy 1), is a very intriguing statement to me. The author seems to be saying that he did not care how he lived his life; however, it was good to him. I believe he feels that he has done all that he could while he was living, and now it is time for him to pass on. The author has personified life because it is talking to the author. I think the character’s ways have finally caught up to him. He has no regrets about anything and asks nothing of anyone. I think he is willing to take whatever is coming his way because he is content.

2 comments:

  1. Reggie,

    Interesting start, but not enough depth or detail in your discussion of Hardy's poem.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This poem is about what are you remembered for. For most people their tombstone reads "Rest In Peace," "A mother, a father etch." For him his read as he lived. He did not leave any type of lasting impression on the world and his epitaph was his way of letting the world know.

    ReplyDelete